28 Mar Special Commission Meeting Minutes 3-22-23
PORT COMMISSION OF THE PORT OF EDMONDS MINUTES OF SPECIAL MEETING
March 22, 2023
Steve Johnston, President
Jim Orvis, Vice President
Jay Grant, Secretary
Angela Harris- Excused
Charles Malmgren of Bothell
CALL TO ORDER
President Johnston called the meeting to order at 10:00 a.m.
All those in attendance participated in the Pledge of Allegiance to the American Flag.
COMMISSIONER ORVIS MOVED THAT THE CONSENT AGENDA BE APPROVED TO INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING ITEMS:
A. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
COMMISSIONER GRANT SECONDED THE MOTION, WHICH CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY.
President Johnston called for public comments. No comments were made.
CONDUCT INTERVIEWS OF APPLICANTS FOR THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR POSITION
Commissioner Johnston explained that over the next two days, five finalists would be interviewed, with the same set of questions to be discussed with each candidate. After the meeting with the Commissioners, each candidate will be invited to meet with senior staff over at Harbor Square and provided a tour of the Port.
The Commissioners then conducted interviews of two candidates for the position of Executive Director.
10:00am – Angela Harris
11:30am – Geoffrey Thomas
The following questions were discussed with each candidate:
1. What are some of the beneficial traits you feel you bring to the table as Port Executive Director?
2. What interests you most about the Port and the Executive Director position?
3. What can you tell us about Public Ports in Washington State, and the Port of Edmonds specifically?
4. What changes/challenges could you see at the Port over the next 3-5 years?
5. How would you describe your management philosophy and style?
6. How would you describe your communication style?
7. Can you describe your relationship with staff in your past positions?
8. How do you view the role of the Commission especially with respect to interaction with you, Senior Staff, and Legal Counsel?
9. What do you believe the interaction between Executive Director and the public, the Cities of Edmonds and Woodway, and other public and private entities should be?
10. How do you handle conflicts?
11. Could you talk about your experience in implementing large capital projects?
a. Real estate acquisition; property/lease management?
b. Acquiring grants/working with lobbyists or funding specialists to obtain grants?
c. Developing strategic initiatives/plans?
12. Can you describe what you consider to be your greatest successes?
13. What was the hardest decision you had to make as a manager, and how did you handle it?
14. What is your initial impression of the Port?
15. Do any of the Commissioners have additional questions?
16. What questions do you have of us?
The Commission meeting was adjourned at 1:00 p.m.
Port Commission Secretary