10 Oct Commission Meeting Minutes 9-25-23
PORT COMMISSION OF THE PORT OF EDMONDS MINUTES OF COMMISSION MEETING
(Via Zoom, Hybrid Meeting) September 25, 2023
Steve Johnston, President
Jim Orvis, Vice President
Jay Grant, Secretary
Angela Harris, Executive Director
Brandon Baker, Director of Marina Operations
Brittany Williams, Manager of Properties and Economic Development
Jordan Stephens, Port Attorney
Dave Teitzel, Edmonds City Council
CALL TO ORDER
President Johnston called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m.
All those in attendance participated in the Pledge of Allegiance to the American Flag.
APPROVAL OF AGENDA
COMMISSIONER GRANT MOVED TO APPROVE THE AGENDA AS PRESENTED. COMMISSIONER PRESTON SECONDED THE MOTION, WHICH CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY.
Executive Director Harris explained that a public comment was received from Darrol Haug regarding economic development and revenue generating opportunities. That public comment has been circulated to each Commissioner.
APPROVAL OF CONSENT AGENDA
COMMISSIONER PRESTON MOVED THAT THE CONSENT AGENDA BE APPROVED TO INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING ITEMS:
A. APPROVAL OF SEPTEMBER 11, 2023 MEETING MINUTES, AS SUBMITTED
B. APPROVAL OF PAYMENTS
C. APROVAL OF DIRECTOR OF FINANCE AND ADMINISTRATION POSITION
COMMISSIONER JOHNSTON SECONDED THE MOTION, WHICH CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY.
A. City of Edmonds Comprehensive Plan EIS Scoping Comment Summary & Process Overview
Susan McLaughlin, Director of the Planning & Development Department for the City of Edmonds presented an overview of the comprehensive plan process and timeline. Director McLaughlin then reviewed a high-level overview of the ~8500 comments received from the public on the environmental impact statement (EIS) scope and reviewed the next steps.
B. Sea Notes at the Marina Recap
Brittany Williams, Manager of Properties and Economic Development provided a recap of the popular and successful Sea Notes at the Marina Summer 2023 season. Recognition and gratitude’s were shared to all Sea Notes musicians, Pete Bennett (Program Coordinator for Sea Notes), Rachel Gardner (coordinating and managing Songwriter’s Sundays), and Anthony’s Restaurants for their sponsorship.
A. Accepting Harbor Square Asphalt Repair No. 2023-458 Contract as Complete
COMMISSIONER GRANT MOVED THAT THE COMMISSION ACCEPT THE CONTRACT 2023-458 WITH QUILCEDA PAVING & CONSTRUCTION, IN THE AMOUNT OF $63,300 PLUS TAX FOR THE HARBOR SQUARE ASPHALT REPAIR 2023 CONTRACT AS COMPLETE. COMMISSIONER JOHNSTON SECONDED THE MOTION, WHICH CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY.
B. Resolution No. 23-05 to Adopt the Rules Governing the Transaction of Port Commission Business
COMMISSIONER JOHNSTON MOVED THAT THE COMMISSION ADOPT RESOLUTION NUMBER 23-05, A RESOLUTION ADOPTING THE RULES GOVERNING THE TRANSACTION OF PORT COMMISSION BUSINESS. COMMISSIONER PRESTON SECONDED THE MOTION, WHICH CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY.
C. Resolution No. 23-06 Designating the Treasurer and Auditor for the Port of Edmonds
COMMISSIONER PRESTON MOVED THAT THE COMMISSION ADOPT RESOLUTION NUMBER 23-06, DESIGNATING THE TREASUER AND AUDITOR FOR THE PORT OF EDMONDS. COMMISSIONER JOHNSTON SECONDED THE MOTION, WHICH CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY.
D. Resolution No. 23-07 Appointing Agent to Receive Claims for Damages
COMMISSIONER GRANT MOVED THAT THE COMMISSION ADOPT RESOLUTION NUMBER 23-07, APPOINTING AGENT TO RECEIVE CLAIMS FOR DAMAGES FOR THE PORT OF EDMONDS. COMMISSIONER JOHNSTON SECONDED THE MOTION, WHICH CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY.
CITY OF EDMONDS REPORT
Councilmember Dave Teitzel gave an overview of the continuing volunteer efforts at the Edmonds Marsh as well as the letter to the governor from City Councilmembers that will be sent this week regarding discussions of Edmonds Marsh future ownership. He also provided an overview of an upcoming council topic on the future of South County Fire, and a timeline for City of Edmonds budget.
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR’S REPORT
• Executive Director Harris provided an update on the Administration / Maintenance building move-in. New tentative move dates are October 16-17, which will be confirmed as the final tasks come together over the next week.
COMMISSIONER’S COMMENTS AND COMMITTEE REPORTS
• Commissioner Cass mentioned the upcoming Building Bridges conference and commented on her attendance at the WPPA Environmental Conference, particularly the impressive stormwater technology at the Port of Tacoma.
• Commissioner Preston attended a bi-partisan County Council meeting with members Mead and Nehring at Lynnwood Library. Commissioner Preston also mentioned staff may want to connect with the Port of Walla Walla regarding grant funding.
• Commissioner Grant discussed his recent attendance at the WPPA Environmental Conference, of particular interest was the different projects Ports are working on.
• Commissioner Johnston also spoke about his recent attendance at the WPPA Environmental Conference, providing an overview of key points from the various segments he attended.
The Commission meeting was adjourned at 8:44 p.m.
Port Commission Secretary